First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Office of School Readiness defines school readiness as a condition whereby children enter school with:
- an ability to function in a a social setting
- age-appropriate communication and problem solving skills
- age-appropriate physical and emotional skills
- optimal health
Why High-Quality Pre-Kindergarten?
Numerous studies have shown that students who have participated in high-quality pre-kindergarten programs:
- score higher on achievement tests and less likely to repeat a grade
- are more likely to graduate from high-school and go on to college
- get higher paying salaries as adults
- are more likely to stay out of prison and off welfare