Notice of Directory Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, requires that Chickasaw City School District, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your child's education records. However, Chickasasaw City School District may disclose appropriately designated "directory information" without written consent, unless you have advised the District to the contrary in accordance with District procedures. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the Chickasaw City School District to include this type of information from your child's education records in certain school publications. Examples include:
Directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can also be disclosed to outside organizations without a parent's prior written consent. Outside organizations include, but are not limited to, companies that manufacture class rings or publish yearbooks. In addition, two federal laws require local educational agencies (LEAs) receiving assistance under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) to provide military recruiters, upon request, with the following information - names, addresses and telephone listings - unless parents have advised the LEA that they do not want their student's information disclosed without their prior written consent.
If you do not want Chickasaw City School District to disclose directory information from your child's education records without your prior written consent, you must notify the District in writing by September 1, 2015 for the 2015-2016 academic year. Chickasaw City School District has designated the following information as directory information:
- A playbill, showing your student's role in a drama production
- The annual yearbook;
- Honor roll or other recognition lists
- Graduation programs; and
- Sports activity sheets, such as for sports, showing weight and height of team members.
- Student ID number, user ID, or other unique personal identifier used to communicate in electronic systems that cannot be used to access education records without a PIN, password, etc. (A student's SSN, in whole or in part, cannot be used for this purpose.)
- Student's name
- Telephone listing
- Electronic mail address
- Date and place of birth
- Grade level
- Dates of attendance
- Major field of study
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- The most recent educational agency or institution attended
1 These laws are: Section 9528 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (20 U.S.C. § 7908) and
10 U.S.C. § 503(c).